2nd – 9th June 2018 – Developing and Deepening my practice – A retreat for mindfulness teachers.
Mindfulness Teacher Good Practice Retreat.
Algarve, Portugal 2nd – 9th June 2018
Deepening Personal Practice, Developing Professional Skills,
Learning From Each Other
An opportunity for mindfulness-based teachers to participate in a 7-day, self-managed, self-led not-for-profit community retreat. Creating a space to connect with peers, to support, challenge, inspire and encourage each other in our personal and professional practice of mindfulness.
Join us to:
- build connections with other mindfulness-based teachers and develop community
- collaborate to enhance teaching competency through teachbacks and peer supervision
- discuss and debate latest research and findings and how this can inform and impact our teaching
- deepen own personal practice through periods of guided silent meditations.
This retreat is intended for those who:
- Have attended a recognised MBSR / MBCT teacher training programme
- Are adhering to ongoing good practice via regular supervision and attendance on retreat
- Are engaged in offering MBSR, MBCT or related work courses in their professional practice.
- Have taught a minimum of 2 x 8-Week Mindfulness Based programmes under supervision
Themes, Content and Organisation:
The overall format and structure and any specific themes for the retreat will be agreed with participants in a collaborative planning video-conference workshop in advance of the retreat. It is anticipated that the final format will include:
- At least 2 full days of silence.
- Additional days will allow for peer support and peer supervision activities; discussion and debate of latest research and findings; and sharing knowledge and experience.
- Four ‘learning sets’ will be established with regular meeting times so that each participant has a small group to work on their personal learning and development.
- This small group will also be a ‘home group’ for its members and will pay particular attention to take care of each other during the course of the retreat.
Six pairs of teachers will work in in a rota to hold the space and /or deliver the content of each day. In effect this means one full teaching day per participant (working in a pair).
Participants will also contribute to the community by sharing routine tasks including light food preparation (main meals will be delivered by an external caterer), setting and clearing tables, light cleaning of communal spaces, and other routine light duties.
Programme: The full detail of the programme will be agreed in the planning workshop, but is likely to include:
- Day 1: Arrival (from 15:00) Orientation and welcome. Getting to know each other and the space. Confirmation of Agreed Programme for the retreat. Community rules. Hopes, expectation and fears. Allocation (and practice!) of community tasks. Establishing learning sets /home groups and sharing of personal/professional development areas.
- Days 2&3: Guided Silent Practice, led by two teachers on each day. This will allow for a transition for the deeping of personal practice and for teachers to practise leading a silent ‘all-day’. Different teachers may offer early morning mindful movement sessions
- Days 4,5 & 6: Maintaining a retreat atmosphere and timetable. Led by two teachers on each day with set times for guided mindfulness practice, silent practice, These days will also include set times for learning set and home group activities, discussion on a theme, and learning from each other.
- Day 7: Setting intentions & Departure (after lunch from 2pm) The final day will be one of sharing experiences and setting intentions. Participants will be encouraged to share what learning they have achieved and how they wil build this into their personal and professional practice.
This is a self-managed, peer-led community programme for a maximum of 12 teachers, including the two hosts. It is a not-for-profit venture and so there are no fees for the programme itself.
Location & Accommodation
The retreat will take place at QV Norrgren in the Algarve. The nearest Airport is FARO. The journey is approximately 25 minutes by Taxi, and the cost is in the region of 30 euros each way. Where possible we will aim to facilitate taxi sharing to reduce costs.
Accommodation will be in twin rooms, each with a private bathroom and is provided free of charge by Marion and Per at their home in the Algarve. There are five guest bedrooms in total, allowing for 10 participants in addition to Marion and Per.
Contribution to Costs
Actual costs of all food and meals (vegetarian) / drinks and snacks / laundry / room cleaning and proportion of utilities will be shared by all participants. This is expected to be in the region of EU250 and will be confirmed when the actual number of participants is confirmed.
Secure your place:
To book a place, please complete the attached application form and return by 28th February 2018 together with your deposit of 100 euros. The balance should be paid by 13th April 2018
Closing date for bookings is 13th April 2018.
Places will be allocated on a first-come, first served basis and a small waiting list will be maintained.
QV Norrgren retreat centre information
QV Norrgren is set in over nearly two acres of hillside just west of Loulé.
All meals are vegetarian and prepared with love and care to ensure they are both filling and nutritious.
All the bedrooms have en-suit or private bathrooms with shower and are twin person rooms for sharing. We have limited option for single occupancy, ask for availability.
The location is perfect. It is private and secluded but within a few kilometres in to the Loule town. We have wonderful walks in the hills and valleys behind us. The nearest beach is 15km to the south and the nearest airport is Faro. The taxi ride from the airport normally takes between twenty and twenty five minutes.
It is the perfect place for relaxing and connecting both with self and nature. Welcome!
Keep in touch
To register your interest in future retreats and be kept informed of dates, prices and early-bird discounts click here